The farm of Jacob Hummelbaugh is on Taneytown Road at Pleasonton Avenue. Located just to the rear of the Union lines on July 2nd and 3rd, 1863, it was set up as a 2nd Corps field hospital. Confederate General Barksdale was treated here before he died on July 2nd. Union Cavalry commander General Alfred Pleasanton also had his headquarters here from July 4th through July 6th.
Jacob Hummelbaugh was a widower. His son, Leander, was in the 138th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, which was not at Gettysburg. It was assigned to the Harpers Ferry garrison and at the time of the battle was escorting stores to Washington to prevent them from falling into the hands of Lee's army. Leander was badly wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864.
The monument visible in the distance above the pump on the left of the photograph is the United States Regulars monument on Hancock Avenue, showing the close proximity of the farm to the scene of some of the battle's heaviest fighting.
Today the house and barn are owned by the National Park Service.