State of Pennsylvania Monument
The State of Pennsylvania monument is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue at Pleasonton Avenue. (39.807658° N, 77.23517° W; map)
The State of Pennsylvania Monument is the largest on the Gettysburg battlefield. The tip of the sword of the statue of Winged Victory is 110 feet high.
A staircase takes visitors to the roof of the monument, which offers a panoramic view of the battlefield.
The monument is made from North Carolina granite set over an iron and concrete frame. Its base and the inside of the monument are lined with bronze tablets listing the Pennsylvania regiments and batteries and the names of over 34,000 Pennsylvanians who participated in the battle.
Sculptor Samuel Murray created the 7,500 pound statue of Winged Victory which stand on top of the dome; its metal came from melted down Civil War cannon. He also created the reliefs over each of the arches, which represent infantry, cavalry, artillery, and signals.
On each side of the arches are bronze statues of Pennsylvania generals George Meade, John Reynolds, Winfield Scott Hancock, David Birney, Alfred Pleasonton and David Gregg, as well as Pennsylvania Governor Andrew Curtin and President Lincoln.
The monument was dedicated on September 27th, 1910. The statues on each side of the arches were not added until April of 1913.
From the inscriptions flanking the front entrance:
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
In honor of her sons who
on this field fought for the
Preservation of the Union
July 1.2. & 3. 1863
Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
69 Regiments Infantry
9 Regiments Cavalry
7 Batteries Artillery
Total Present 34530
Killed and mortally wounded 1182
Wounded 3177 Missing 860
From the tablet inside the entrance:
Memorial to the soldiers of Pennsylvania
at Gettysburg July, 1863, erected under authority
of acts of the General Assembly of Pennsylvania
approved June 13, 1907, and February 11, 1909, by
Edwin S. Stuart
Governor of the Commonwealth
The commissioners charged with the selection of the design for the memorial and the construction of it, and who undertook the collection of the names and figures and other data theron, which, necessarily, are approximate, were
St. Clair A. Mulholland - Henry S. Huidekoper - John P. Taylor, Charles F. McKenna - Edward L. Whittelsey, George P. Morgan - Charles E. Quail - Edward A. Irvin, Henry H. Cumings - Jacob C. Stineman
From the tablet on the inside right entryway:
To the Loyal Women
who through four years of war, endured
suffering and bereavement.
This tablet is dedicated
in grateful recognition of their patriotism
by the men of Pennsylvania
who served in the Army and Navy of the United
States during the War of the Rebellion.
Inscription on the inside right entryway:
Pennsylvania Soldiers of the Army of the Potomac
who participated in the Battle of Gettysburg
2133 Officers of whom 73 were killed or mortally wounded
32,144 enlisted men of whom 1139 wre killed or mortally wounded
Total engaged or on duty 34,247 - total killed or mortally wounded 1212
There were required in the construction of the Pennsylvania Memorial:
1252 tons of cut granite
740 tons of sand
366 tons of cement
1240 tons of broken stone
50 tons of steel
22 tons of bronze
Total 3840 tons
From the tablet at the stairway:
Memorial erected in 1910
Dedicated September 27 1910
W. Liance Cotrell Architect
Samuel A. Murray Sculptor
Harrison Granite Co. Contractors