Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

Pennsylvania Independent
Battery E
"Knap's Battery"

Twelfth Corps HQ Flag

 

Knap's Independent Battery E has two monuments on the Gettysburg battlefield. One is on Culp's Hill, showing the position of 3 of the battery's guns on July 2. (39.820018° N, 77.220036° W; map)

 

The second monument was dedicated in 1897 and is on seldom-seen Powers Hill, reachable from Granite Schoolhouse Road, showing the position of the battery on July 3. (39.80606° N, 77.22015° W; map)

 

Battery E was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Charles A. Atwell, a clerk from Allegheny City. It brought six 10-pounder Parrott rifles to the field manned by 4 officers and 135 men, and lost 3 enlisted men wounded.

 

 

From the Culp's Hill monument:

 

Independent Battery E
Knaps
Penna. Veteran vols.
July 3, 1863.
___

12th Army Corps

 

From the front of the Powers Hill monument:

 

Battery E
(Knap's)
Penna. Light Artillery

From the rear of the Powers Hill monument:

Mustered in Oct. 1st 1861.
Re-enlisted Jan. 1864.
Mustered out June 14th 1865.
At 3:30 p.m. July 2nd one gun was placed
on Culp's Hill in the position marked
by a monument, and was joined by two
others at 5 p.m., when the three guns
engaged the enemy's batteries on
Benner's Hill. These guns were
withdrawn when the Infantry was
ordered to the left and the
Battery went into this position
where it remained until the close
of the battle.
Present at Gettysburg
4 officers and 135 men.
Wounded 3 men.

 

Arrow

 

Monument to Pennsylvania's Independent Battery E on Culp's Hill
(above) Monument to Independent Battery E on Culp's Hill
(see enlargement)
(below) Monument to the battery on Powell Hill
(see larger version)Pennsylvania Independent Battery E at Gettysburg
(below) Right Flank Marker for Battery E at the Culp's Hill position
Right Flank Marker for Battery E at the Culp's Hill position

Gettysburg Books Ad
About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks