Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War
USA Flag

88th Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry Regiment

"Cameron Light Guards"

 

First Corps HQ Flag Second Division, First Corps Flag

 

The monument to the 88th Pennsylvania Volunteers is northwest of Gettysburg on Doubleday Avenue, the site of the regiment's position during the fighting on July 1st. (39.84341° N, 77.24208° W; map) It was dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania in 1889.

 

Three position markers were erected in 1883:

A marker about 80 yards west of the monument on Oak Ridge shows the extent of the regiment's charge on July 1st. (39.843592° N, 77.242902° W; map)

 

A marker south of Gettysburg on Cemetery Ridge shows the regiment's position during the evening of July 2nd. (39.806506° N, 77.235006° W; map)

 

A marker in Ziegler's Grove shows the regiment's final position from July 3 to July 6. (39.81698° N, 77.23414° W; map)

 

The 88th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major Benezet F. Foust. He was wounded on the 1st, and Captain Edmund A. Mass then took command. When Captain Mass was captured Captain Henry Whiteside took over the regiment.

 

First Sergeant Edward L. Gilligan of Company
E was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3rd when he "Assisted in the capture of a Confederate flag by knocking down the color sergeant."



 

From the main monument:

 

About noon, July 1st 1863, the regiment was in line along the Mummasburg Road, 200 yards S.E. of this monument. Later it changed direction and formed here, charged forward and captured two battle flags and a number of prisoners. at 4 p.m. the Division was overpowered and forced through the town.

July 2nd the regiment was in position facing the Emmitsburg Road and on July 3rd at Ziegler's Grove, as indicated by markers.

 

Recruited in Philadelphia and Reading. Mustered in September 1861. Re-enlisted January 1864. Mustered out June 30th 1865.

 

Engagements: Cedar Mountain, Rappahannock Station, Thoroughfare Gap, Second Bull Run, Chantilly, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomoy, Bethesda Church, Cold Harbor, Peteresburg, Weldon R.R., Dabney's Mill, Boydton Road, Five Forks, Appomattox.

 

From the position marker to the west of the monument:

 

On the afternoon of July 1st 1863 the regiment charged to this point capturing two battle flags and a number of prisoners.

 

All three of the position markers state the regiment's identity and date the markers were erected:

 

88 PA. Vol.
2nd Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps

Erected by the survivors
August 27, 1883

 


From the Hancock Avenue marker:

 

Held this position
from the evening of
July 2nd 1863
until the morning of July 3rd.
The principal monument is erected on
Oak Ridge, scene of the first day's battle.

Erected by survivors August 27, 1883

 

 

From the Ziegler's Grove marker:

 

Arrived here in time to assist
in repelling the enemy's charge
on July 3rd 1863 and
remained until the morning of
July 6th

Men engaged 294
"  killed 18
"  wounded 50
"  missing 53
Erected by survivors
August 27, 1883.

The principal monument is erected
on Oak Ridge the scene of the first
day's battle

 

Arrow
Monument to the 88th Pennsylvania Infantry on Doubleday Avenue.
(above) Monument to the 88th Pennsylvania on Doubleday Avenue.
(below) Closeup of the top of the monument.

88th Pennsylvania monument detail
(below) Marker for the regiment's position on Oak Ridge on July 1st
Position marker for the 88th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment on Oak Ridge at Gettysburg
(below) Marker for the regiment's position on Cemetery Ridge on July 2
Position marker for the 88th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment on Hancock Avenue at Gettysburg
(below) Marker for the regiment's position in Ziegler's Grove on July 3rd
(see larger image)
Position marker for the 88th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment in Ziegler's Grove at Gettysburg
Gettysburg Books Ad
About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks