Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War
USA Flag

69th Pennsylvania Volunteer
Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Second Corps HQ Flag Second Division, Second Corps Flag

 

The monument to the 69th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg near the Copse of Trees. (39.81262 N, 77.23629 W; map) It was dedicated in 1887 by the State of Pennsylvania.

 

The 69th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Dennis O'Kane. He was mortally wounded on July 3rd during Pickett's Charge, dying the next day. Lieutenant Colonel Martin Tschudy was also killed. Major Duffy, although wounded, remained on the field in command until the battle was over, when Captain William Davis took over the regiment.

 

The 69th was created from Irish militia companies in Philadelphia. It was the only Pennsylvania regiment authorized to carry a green battle flag, and a harp is inscribed at the top of the monument.

 

 

From the front of the monument:

 

Phila. Brigade
2d. Division
2d. Corps

69th Regt.
Penna. Vols.
July. 2, 3,
1863.

This position
was held by the 69th PA. Vols.,
July 2nd and 3rd 1863.
Late on the afternoon of the 2nd, this
regiment assisted in repulsing a desperate
attack made by Wright's Ga. Brigade.
About 1 o'clock, p.m. of the 3rd, these lines
were subjected to an artillery fire from
nearly 150 guns, lasting over one hour after
which, Pickett's division charged this position,
was repulsed, and nearly annihilated. The
contest on the left and centre of this
regiment, for a time being hand-to-hand. Of the
regimental commanders attacking, but one
remained unhurt. Genl. Garnett was killed,
Genl. Kemper desperately wounded, and
Genl. Armistead, after crossing the stonewall
above the right of this command - 2 companies
of which changed front to oppose him - fell
mortally wounded.
A number of Confederate flags were picked
up on this front after the battle.

69th Pennsylvania

 

From the left side:

This Regiment
was organized April 12, 1861
from the 2nd Regt. Pa. State Militia,
for 3 months, was designated the
24th Regt. Reorganized for 3 years
August 19th, 1861, as the 69th Regt.
Reenlisted January 31st, 1864.
Mustered out at the end of the war.
July 1st, 1865.
Aggregate strength of the regiment from
re-organization until muster out 1736
Agregate number of casualties 762

 

From the right side:

Engaged
in the following battles.
Falling Waters, Ball's Crossroads,
Dranesville, Yorktown, Fair Oaks,
Peach Orchard, Savage Station,
White Oak Swamp, Glendale, 1st & 2nd Malvern Hill,
2nd Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain,
Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
Thoroughfare Gap, Haymarket, Gettysburg,
Rappahannock Station, Auburn, Bristoe Station,
Kelly's Ford, Robertson's Farm, Mine Run,
Wilderness, Po River, 1st-2nd Spottsylvania,
Milford, North Anna, Tolopotomy, Cold Harbor,
Petersburg, Jerusalem Plank Road,
Deep Bottom, Strawberry Plains, Reams Station,
Boydton Plank Road, 1st-2nd Hatcher's Run,
Dabney's Mills, Five Forks, Jettersville,
Farmville, Saylor's Creek,
Surrender of Lee.

 

From the rear:

In memoriam
of our deceased comrades,
who gave up their lives in defence
of a perpetual Union.
On this spot fell our commander,
Col. Dennis O'Kane, his true glory was
victory or death, at the moment of achieving
the former, he fell victim to the latter.
While rallying the right to repulse Armistead,
the Lieut. Col. Martin Tschudy was killed. He
was also wounded on the previous day, but
nobly refused to leave the field. The Major
and Adjutant were also wounded.
Out of an aggregate strength of 258
the regiment suffered a loss of 137
Erected
By the surviving members and
their friends
and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

 

Arrow
69th Pennsylvania Infantry monument at Gettysburg Pennsylvania Seal


At the Wall:
The 69th Pennsylvania
"Irish Volunteers"
at Gettysburg
Gettysburg Books Ad
About the AuthorContact me • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks