There are two monuments to the 68th Pennylvania Volunteers near the Peach Orchard on the Gettysburg battlefield.
The first is on Emmitsburg Road and was dedicated in 1886 by the survivors of the regiment. (39.800599 N, 77.250442 W; map)
The second, larger monument along Wheatfield Road was dedicated in 1888 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The 68th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Andrew H. Tippin. He took command of the brigade on July 2 as senior surviving colonel, and Captain Milton S. Davis then took over the regiment.
From the front of the monument on Wheatfield Road:
This monument marks
The right resting 150 feet north as indicated
From the right (west) side:
Recruited in the counties of Philadelphia
Montgomery and Chester
Mustered in September 2nd 1862
Killed and died of wounds
From the left (east) side:
From the monument in the Peach Orchard:
Erected by the survivors
(above) The Wheatfield Road monument to the 68th Pannsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg (see larger view)
(below) The original Emmitsburg Road monument, dedicated by the survivors of the regiment.
About the Author • ©2007-2015 Steve A. Hawks