There are two monuments to the 153rd Pennsylvania Voluneteers on the Gettysburg battlefield. The main monument is north of Gettysburg on Barlow's Knoll along Howard Avenue. (39.845684° N, 77.226152° W; map) A smaller monument is south of Gettysburg on Wainwright Avenue. (39.821641° N, 77.22742° W; map)
About the 153rd Pennsylvania's monuments
The main monument is made of granite and stands about 15' 6" tall. It is topped with the statue of a bugler. The crescent moon symbol of the Eleventh Corps is on its front above an inset bronze tablet of the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania. The monument was dedicated in 1889 by the State of Pennsylvania.
The secondary monument was the first of the two monuments placed on the field, dedicated in 1884 by the survivors of the regiment. It is of polished granite standing almost six feet tall with the keystone symbol of Pennsylvania above the crescent moon of the Eleventh Corps. The monument had a time capsule underneath containing articles placed by veterans of the regiment but it was broken into and looted in 1997.
The 153rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 153rd Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John F. Freuauff. It had been raised as a nine months service regiment in September of 1862 and would muster out three weeks after the battle at the end of July.
From the front of the monument:
153rd Penna Infantry
July 1. The Regiment held this
From the left side of the monument:
Carried into action
From the right side:
The Wainwright Avenue monument displays the crescent moon symbol of the Union Eleventh Army Corps as well as the keystone symbol of the State of Pennsylvania.
From the monument:
153d Regt. Penn. Vol.
(above) Monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania on Barlow's Knoll
(below) Left Flank marker of the 153rd Pennsylvania on Barlow's Knoll at the base of the flagpole commemorating the 17th Connecticut
(below) Monument to the 153rd Pennsylvania on Wainwright Avenue
About the Author • ©2007-2015 Steve A. Hawks