The monument to the 151st Pennsylvania Volunteers is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue. (39.83375° N, 77.25103° W; map)
About the monument
The granite monument stands just under sixteen feet high. The circle symbol of the First Corps is on all four sides of the cap, and a bronze relief of three stacked muskets is set into a niche on its front. The monument was dedicated on July 1, 1888 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 151st Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 151st Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel George F. McFarland. He was wounded on July 1st near the Seminary, losing his leg. Captain Walter L. Owens then took command.
The 151st brought 467 men to the field. It lost 51 killed, 211 wounded and 75 missing - the second highest casualty total of all Union regiments at the Battle of Gettysburg. It mustered out of its nine months service three weeks after the battle, having lost 75% of its strength in its one fight.
The regiment had over 100 schoolteachers on its muster rolls, and was known as the School Teacher Regiment.
From the front of the monument:
151st Pennsylvaia Infantry
July 1. Fought here and
Present at Gettysburg, officers 21, men 446.
From the rear:
Recruited in the
About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks