There are two monuments to the 140th Pennylvania Volunteers south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. The smaller monument was erected in 1885 and was paid for by veterans and friends of the regiment. (39.797561° N, 77.245595° W; map)
The State of Pennsylvania made funding available for monuments in 1889, and the regimental association elected to use the state funds to create a second and larger monument which was placed 60 yards to the west. (39.79765° N, 77.246225° W; map) It was dedicated on September 11, 1889.
About the monument to the 140th Pennsylvania
The main monument is granite and stands a little over sixteen and one half feet high. The monument is capped by a carved drum draped with a flag. The inscribed panel on the fron is flanked by carved rifles, a canteen and cartridge boax, with a carved knapsack just above the base. A brass tablet of the Coat of Arms of the State of Pennsylvania is inset into the front of the monument, and the tefoil symbol of the Second Corps is just below the top of the monument on all four sides.
The 140th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Richard P. Roberts, an attorney from Beaver, Pa. He was killed on July 2nd and Lieutenant Colonel John Fraser took command.
From the front of the main monument:
The regiment engaged
Present at Gettysburg 589 officers and men. Killed and died of wounds, 3 officers 50 men. Wounded 8 officers 120 men. Captured or missing 3 officers 57 men. Total 241.
From the left side:
From the right side:
Total enrollment 1146.
From the rear:
From the smaller monument:
140th Regt. Penna. Vols.
Right of First Div. 2. Corps
(above) The main monument to the 140th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment in the Rose Woods at Gettysburg
(below) Original monument to the regiment, about 60 yards to the east on the other side of Sickles Avenue