Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War
USA Flag

118th Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry Regiment

"Corn Exchange Regiment"

 

Fifth Corps HQ Flag First Division, Fifth Corps Flag

 

There are two momuments and a position marker to the 118th Pennsylvania Volunteers on the Gettysburg battlefield.

 

The original monument is on the northeast slope of Big Round Top (39.7874° N, 77.2388° W; map)

 

A marker showing the regiment's second position on July 2 is along Wheatfield Road. (39.799101° N, 77.243613° W; map)

 

A second monument is in the Rose Woods off Sickles Avenue (39.79765° N, 77.24682° W; map)

 

The 118th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel James Gwyn. It was known as the Corn Exchange Regiment for the Philadelphia Corn Exchange (later the Commercial Exchange of Philadelphia), which raised the money for the regiment's equipment and a $10 bonus for each recruit.

 

 

The Big Round Top monument

The first monument erected to the 118th at Gettysburg was dedicated on September 8, 1884 by the Commercial Exchange of Philadelphia. It is on the northeast side of Big Round Top along the trail that leads from behind the 9th Massachusetts monument to the summit. It shows the regiment's position on July 3 and 4.

 

The face of the granite monument is inscribed with cornstalks encircling the Maltese Cross symbol of the Fifth Corps. It is capped with a carved knapsack leaning on a cannonball.

 

From the front of the monument on Big Round Top:

 

118th Penna. Vol's
Corn Exchange Reg't
1st Brigade 1st Division 5th Corps
Army of the Potomac

 

From the left side:

Engaged in advance
of "Wheat Field" July 2,
and held this position
July 3, and 4, 1863.

 

From the right side:

Erected in their honor
by the Commercial Exchange
formerly Corn Exchange
of Philadelphia, and the
surviving members of
the Regiment.

 

From the rear:

Mustered into service
August 30, 1862
Mustered out June 1, 1865
Participated in 34 battles
Killed in battle 205
Died of wounds and disease 500
Missing in action 273
Original muster 960
Recruits 456
Final muster of original members 139

 

The position marker on Wheatfield Avenue

The five and a half foot high granite marker was erected in 1886. It shows the second position of the regiment during the fighting on July 2 and shows where Captain Richard W. Davis was killed.

 

From the position marker:

2nd position of 118 P.V.
'Corn Exchange Regt.'
July 2nd 1863.
1st Brig. 1st. Div. 5th Corps

 

 

 

The Rose Woods monument

The regiment's monument that is seen by the most visitors is in the Rose Woods on Sickles Avenue. It was dedicated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on September 12, 1889.

 

The granite monument stands about thirteen and a half feet high. It depicts a Union soldier standing on a pedastal, facing the attack made by Kershaw's Confederate Brigade on the afternoon of July 2. The top of the pedastal has carved corn stalks on each side. The front of the monument has a large Maltese Cross symbol of the Fifth Corps underneath the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania.

 

From around the top of the monument on Sickles Avenue:

 

Corn
Exchange
118th. Penna. Infantry
1st Brigade
1st Division
5th Corps

 

From the left side:

First Position
July 2d
July 3rd on
Big Round Top
Present at
Gettysburg 332
Killed 3 Wounded 19
Captured or missing 3

 

From the right side:

Antietam to
Appomattox
Total enrollment
1500
Killed and mortally
wounded 136
Wounded 330
Captured or missing 290

 

From the rear:

Recruited in
Philadelphia
Mustered in
Aug. 30, 1862
Mustered out
June 1, 1865.

 

Arrow

Monument to the 118th Pennsylvania shows the regiment's position on Big Round Top on July 3 and 4
(above) Monument to the 118th Pennsylvania shows the regiment's position on Big Round Top on July 3 and 4 - enlarge enlarge

(below) Position marker on Wheatfield Road shows the regiment's
second position on July 2
Position marker on Wheatfield Road shows the regiment's second position on July 2

(below) The monument to the 118th Pennsylvania in the Rose Woods was the last one erected but shows the regiment's first position on July 2
Monument to the 118th Pennsylvania in the Rose Woods at Gettysburg, showing the regiment's first position on July 2

Gettysburg Books Ad
About the AuthorContact me • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks