Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War
USA Flag

116th Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Second Corps HQ Flag First Division, Second Corps Flag

 

The monument to the 116th Pennsylvania Volunteers is south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. (39.79753° N, 77.24588° W; map)

 

About the monument to the 116th Pennsylvania

The monument is a nine foot wide granite sephulchre supporting the sculpture of a fallen soldier lying next to a stone wall. The soldier was probably modelled after Sergeant Charles Gardner of the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry, who Major Mulholland’s adjutant sketched after finding the sergeant lying dead on the field with a peaceful smile on his face. The monument was erected in 1888 and dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania on on September 11, 1889.

 

The 116th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg

The 116th was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major St. Clair A. Mulholland, a Philadelhia painter born in County Antrim, Ireland. Mulholland was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May of 1863.

 

By the time of the Battle of Gettysburg the regiment was reduced to a battalion of four comanies. Company B was detached during the battle, serving as the Division Provost Guard.

 

Official Records

 

 

From the front of the monument:

 

116th Pennsylvania Infantry
2nd Brig. 1st Div. 2nd Corps

 

From the rear:

 

July 2, 1863
In action 142 officers and men
Killed and wounded 37

 

Arrow

116th Pennsylvania monument at Gettysburg
(above) Monument to the 116th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg
(below) Closeup of the fallen soldier from the 116th Pennsylvania monument Closeup of the fallen soldier from the 116th Pennsylvania monument on the Gettysburg battlefield
Gettysburg Books Ad
About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks