Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War
Return to other monuments

Friend to Friend Masonic Memorial

The Masonic Memorial is on the south side of Gettysburg in the National Cemetery Annex off Taneytown Road at the intersection with Steinwehr Avenue. (39.8210° N, 77.23177° W; see map)

 

Dedicated in 1993, the monument was created by Ron Tunison, who also created the bas relief on the Delaware State Monument, the statue of General Crawford and the Women's Memorial at Gettysburg and the bas reliefs on the Irish Brigade monument at Antietam.

 

 

From the front of the monument:

 

Friend to Friend

A Brotherhood Undivided

 

From the tablet on the left side:

 

Friend to Friend

 

Union General Winfield Scott Hancock and Confederate General Lewis Addison Armistead were personal friends and members of the Masonic Fraternity.

 

Although they had served and fought side by side in the United States army prior to the Civil War, Armistead refused to raise his sword against his fellow Southerners and joined the Confederate Army in 1861.

 

Both Hancock and Armistead fought heroically in the previous twenty-seven months of the war. They were destined to meet at Gettysburg.

 

During Pickett's Charge, Armistead led his men gallantly, penetrating Hancock's line. Ironically, when Armistead was mortally wounded, Hancock was also wounded.

 

Depicted in this sculpture is Union Captain Henry Bingham, a Mason and staff assistant to General Hancock, himself wounded, rendering aid to the fallen Confederate General. Armistead is shown handing his watch and personal effects to be taken to his friend, Union General Hancock.

 

Hancock survived the war and died in 1886. Armistead died at Gettysburg July 5, 1863. Captain Bingham attained the rank of General and later served 32 years in the United States House of Representatives. He was known as the "Father of the House."

 

Shown on the wall surrounding this monument are the names of the States whose soldiers fought at the Battle of Gettysburg.

 

From the tablet on the left side:

 

Friend to Friend
Masonic Memorial

 

This monument is presented by the Right Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania and dedicated as a memorial to the Freemasons of the Union and Confederacy. Their unique bonds of friendship enabled them to remain a brotherhood undivided, even as they fought in a divided nation, faithfully supporting the respective governments under which they lived.


Dedicated August 21, 1993
By
The right Worshipful Grand Lodge
Of The Most Ancient And Honorable Fraternity
Of Free And Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania
And Masonic Jursidiction Thereunto Belonging.

Edward H. Fowler, Jr., Right Worshipful Grand Master
George H. Hohenshildt, R.W. Deputy Grand Master, Chairman
Edward O. Weisser, R.W. Senior Grand Warden
James L. Ernette, R.W. Junior Grand Warden
Marvin G. Speicher, R.W. Grand Treasurer
Thomas W. Jackson, R.W. Grand Secretary

Friend to Friend Masonic Memorial in Gettysburg National Cemetery
Closeup of the Friend to Friend Masonic Memorial at Gettysburg
Side view of the Friend to Friend Masonic Memorial at Gettysburg
Gettysburg Books Ad
About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks