Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War
USA Flag

1st Ohio Light Artillery,
Battery K

The monument to Battery K, First Ohio Light Artillery is in Gettysburg on the corner of Carlisle and Lincoln Streets. (39.83686° N, 77.23130° W; map). It was dedicated in 1887 by the State of Ohio.

 

Battery K was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Lewis Heckman. It brought 118 men to the field serving four 12-punder Napoleons.

 

From the front of the monument:

 

Battery K
First Ohio Light Artillery
Artillery Brigade 11th Corps
----
Arriving about noon July 1, 1863
this battery
Capt. Lewis Heckman commanding
went into position here in reserve.
When the 11th Corps began to retire,
it engaged the enemy with great gallantry.
After severe loss it was withdrawn.
----
Casualties
2 killed, 11 wounded, 2 missing

 

From the rear:

Battery K
First Ohio Light Artillery
Was organized for 3 years under
Capt. Wm. L. DeBeck in the autumn of 1861.
Reenlisted for 3 years in February 1864.
Mustered out July 12, 1865

Principal engagements

Bull Pasture Mountain
Cross Keys
Cedar Mountain
Freeman's Ford
Warrenton Sulphur Springs Waterloo Bridge

Groveton
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Wauhatchie
Lookout Mountain
Mission Ridge

 

From the right side:

 

Capt. Wm. L. DeBeck Oct. 10 1861 to May 11, 1863

 

From the left side:

 

Capt. Lewis Heckman May 11 1863 to July 12 1865

 

Arrow
Monument to th 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery K at Gettysburg
(above) Front and (below) rear views of the monument to
Battery K, First Ohio Light Artillery
Reverse of the monument to the 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery K at GettysburgReverse of the monument to the 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery K at Gettysburg
Reverse of the monument to the 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery K at Gettysburg
Gettysburg Books Ad
About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve A. Hawks