The monument to the 49th New York Volunteers is southeast of Gettysburg on Neil Avenue, know as "Lost Lane" because of its inaccessabilty. (39.807784° N, 77.211268°W; map)
About the monument to the 49th New York
The granite monument stands 10' 6" high. On its front is a relief of crossed rifles set over a victory wreath. The Greek Cross symbol of the Sixth Corps is in relief above the rifles; below a circular bronze Seal of the State of New York is set into the front of the monument's base. The monument was dedicated by the State of New York on July 2nd, 1893.
The 49th New York at the Battle of Gettysburg
The 49th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Daniel D. Bidwell, an attorney from Buffalo. It brought 414 men to the field, losing 2 wounded.
Neill's Brigade of the Sixth Corps was one of the last to reach the battlefield on July 2nd and was held in reserve on the Baltimore Pike at Rock Creek. On July 3rd the brigade deployed to the north of the Pike on the east side of Rock Creek to push back Confederate skirmshers that were threatening the army's main supply and communcations route. It advanced to the location of the monuments, taking light casualties.
From the front of the monument:
3d Brig 2d Div 6th Corps
From the rear:
(above) Monument to the 49th New York Volunteer at Gettysburg