About the monument to the 12th New Hampshire
The rectangular granite monument is just over nine feer high. Its scrolled cap is topped with a carved soldier's knapsack and blanket roll, and a relief of the diamond symbol of the Third Corps is on both sides. The monument was erected by the State of New Hampshire on September 28, 1888.
The 12th New Hampshire at Gettysburg
The 12th New Hampshire was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain John F. Langley, a machinest from Manchester. The regiment had lost all its field officers in heavy fighting at Chancellorsville in May. It held its ground north of the Klingel Farm when attacked by Wilcox's Alabama Brigade until it was finally ordered to retreat by General Birney. The noise of the battle was so loud that Captain Langley had to go to each company commander and shout into their ears the order to pull back.
After Captain Langley was wounded in the withdrawal Lieutenant Fernal took over the survivors and returned them to the fight, freeing a number of captured Union troops. Only 50 men mustered for duty the next day under Captain Thomas E. Barker, when they provided support during Pickett's Charge.
From the front of the monument:
July 2, 1863.
12 NH Vols.
From the rear:
The New Hampshire Mountaineers
From the right side:
From the left side:
Our Union is river, lake, ocean and sky;
(Above) The west side of the 12th New Hampshire monument faces Emmitsburg Road and is partly obscured by a picket fence.
(Above) The east side of the 12th New Hampshire monument
from inside the Klingle farmyard
(below) View of the 12th New Hampshire Infantry monument
from across Emmitsburg Road.