The monument to the 24th Michigan Volunteers is west of Gettysburg on Meredith Avenue. (39.83491° N, 77.25441° W; map)
A position marker is at the foot of Culp's Hill along Slocum Avenue showing the regiment's location on July 2 and 3. (39.83491° N, 77.25441° W; map)
About the Monument to the 24th Michigan
The monument is made of granite and stands just over 14' tall. On top of a pedestal a statue of a 24th Michigan enlisted man wearing the distinctive black hat of the Iron Brigade loads his rifle. Below his feet is the brass tablet placed on all State of Michigan monuments at Gettysburg.
The full moon symbol of the First Corps is below the tablet between a relief of crossed flags. The five sided symbol of the Iron Brigade is on both sides of the pedestal and the First Corps moon is repeated on the rear of the monument. It was dedicated on June 12, 1889 by the State of Michigan.
The 24th Michigan at Gettysburg
The 24th Michigan was commanded at Gettysburg by Colonel Henry A. Morrow. He was wounded on July 1st, and Captain Albert M. Edwards took command.
The 24th lost more killed and wounded than any Union regiment at Gettysburg. Seven color bearers were shot down, and twice Colonel Morrow himself took the colors before he, too was wounded.
From the front (west side) of the monument:
From the south side of the monument:
July 1st 1863
From the north side of the monument:
From the east side of the monument:
Went into action with
From the marker at the foot of Culp's Hill:
(above) Monument to the 24th Michigan at Gettysburg
(above) Position marker for the 24th Michigan on Culp's Hill (enlarge)
About the Author • ©2007-2015 Steve A. Hawks