Purnell Legion (Maryland) Cavalry
The monument to Company A of Maryland's Purnell Legion is east of Gettysburg on the East Cavalry Field. (39.826459° N, 77.164611° W; map) It was dedicated in 1890 by the State of Maryland.
The company brought 78 men to the field and had no casualties. It was part of Cavalry Corps, 2nd Division, 1st Brigade.
From the front of the monument:
Co. A Purnell Legion
Maryland's Tribute to her loyal sons.
From the rear:
This detached Company
Capt. Robert E. Duvall,
served in the cavalry engagement
on this flank, July 2nd and 3rd, 1863.
Organized at Pikesville Md.
Sept. Oct. and Nov. 1861
Mustered out at Fort Monroe Va.
July 28, 1865
The Purnell Legion is also honored by a marker and monument at Antietam.