The monument to the First Regiment Eastern Shore Maryland Infantry is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (39.81917° N, 77.2197° W; map)
About the monument
The white granite monument is 5' high and about 8' wide. On its front is a relef of an soldier lying behind the cover of a low pile of rocks, his rifle ready to fire. The star symbol of the Twelfth Army Corps is above his head. Its rear is inscribed with the regiment's story, with a round bronze Seal of the State of Maryland inset in the center. The monument was dedicated on October 25, 1888 by the State of Maryland.
About The 1st Maryland Eastern Shore
The regiment was commanded by Colonel James Wallace, a slaveowning lawyer and state legislator from Cambridge. Wallace would resign his commission in December of 1863 over the issue of arming African-Americans for the army.
The 1st Maryland Eastern Shore had been enlisted as a home guard regiment. When it was ordered to Baltimore to join the Army of the Potomac at the time of the Gettysburg campaign Company K, raised in strongly pro-southern Somerset and Worcester counties, reminded the government of their terms of service and refused to go. On July 2nd, as their comrades were taking positions on Culp's Hill, sixty-seven members were disarmed, dishonorably discharged and given train fare back to Salisbury.
No better example of a Maryland caught between two sides occured than at Culp's Hill, where the Union 1st Maryland Eastern Shore faced the Confederate 1st Maryland Battalion. Color Sergeant Robert Ross of the Union regiment was a cousin to Color Sergeant P.M. Moore of the Confederate battalion, who was wounded several times and captured by his neghbors.
Colonel Wallace of the Union 1st Maryland wrote, "The 1st Maryland Confederate Regiment met us and were cut to pieces. We sorrowfully gathered up many of our old friends and acquaintances and had them carefully and tenderly cared for."
Form the front of the monument:
1st Regt. Eastern Shore
Maryland's Tribute to her loyal sons
From the rear:
Five companies held the works in front of
The remainder of the regiment were in
Organized at Cambridge, Md. sept. 1861.
(above) Monument to the 1st Regiment Eastern Shore on Culp's Hill at Gettysburg enlarge
(below) rear view