1st Maryland Cavalry Regiment
The monument to the First Maryland Cavalry Regiment is east of Gettysburg on Gregg Avenue of the East Cavalry Battlefield. (39.825123° N, 77.162933° W; map)
About the monument
The granite monument stands 10' 4" high. At the top of the front is a relief of a hrse's head inside a horseshoe over a pair of crossed cavalry sabres. A circular bronze of the Seal of the State of Maryland is inset into the center. The monument was dedicated on October 25, 1888.
1st Maryland Cavalry Regiment at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel James M. Deems, a Baltimore native wh had taught music at the University of Virginia before the war. It brought 335 men to the field in 11 companies (company M was not added until after Gettysburg) and lost two wounded and one missing.
From the front of the monument:
Maryland's Tribute to Her Loyal Sons
Dedicated to the
1st Regt. MD. Cav.
Lt. Col. James M. Deems
1st Brig. 2nd Div. Cavalry Corps
in the cavalry engagement of this flank
July 3rd, 1863
From the rear:
Organized at Baltimore, Md. November 1861. Participated in sixty-two engagements including the following: Charlestown, Va. May 28, 1862;
2d Bull Run Aug. 29-30;
Stoneman's Raid Va. Apr. & May 1863;
Brandy Station Va. June 9;
Aldie Va. June 19;
Gettysburg Pa. July 2-3;
Deep Bottom, Va. Aug. 16-18, 1864;
Five Forks, Va. Apr. 4 1865;
Appomattox Court House Va., Apr. 9.
Casualties in action during the war:
Killed 1 officer, 32 men, total 33;
Wounded 10 officers, 147 men, total 157;
Captured or missing 12 officers, 208 men,
Total 220. Aggregate 410.
Mustered out Aug. 8, 1865