The monument to the Second Massachusetts Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Carman Avenue near Spangler's Spring. (39.813324° N, 77.215871° W; map)
This is the first permanent regimental monument on the battlefield, erected in 1879.
The regiment was commanded at Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Charles R. Mudge, who was killed leading the regiment in a charge whose order he questioned, but obeyed: "it is murder, but it's an order." Major Charles F. Morse took command afrter Mudge fell.
Form the tablet on the front of the monument:
From the hill behind this monument on
the morning of July Third 1863 the
Second Massachusetts Infantry
made an assault upon the Confederate
troops in the works at the base of Culp's
Hill opposite. The regiment carried to
the charge 22 officers and 294 enlisted
men. It lost 4 officers and 41 enlisted
men killed and mortally wounded and 6
officers and 84 enlisted men wounded.
To perpetuate the honored memories of
that hour the survivors of the Regiment
have raised this stone. 1879.
From the rear:
Lieut. Col. Charles R. Mudge Captain Thomas B. Robeson
Captain Thomas B. Fox Lieut. Henry V.D. Stone
Color bearers - Leavitt C. Durgin, Rupert J. Sadler, Stephen Cody
First Sergeant Alonzo J. Babcock, Sergeant William H. Blunt.
Charles Burdett, Theodore S. Butters, Jeremiah S. Hall, Patrick Heoy, Ruel Whittier, Gordon S. Wilson.
Samuel T. Alton James T. Edmunds Charles Kiernan
George M. Baily William H. Ela William Marshall
Henry C. Ball John E. Farrington Frederick Maynard
Wallace Bascom Silas P. Foster Andrew Nelson
Jr. Willard Foster Rufus A. Parker
David B. Brown Joseph Furber Philo H. Peck
William T. Bullard Fritz Goetz Sidney S. Prouty
James A. Chase Daniel A. Hatch Richard Seavers
Peter Conlan John J. Jewett Charles Trayner
John Derr John Joy David L. Wade