The monument to the 22nd Massachusetts is south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. (39.797116° N, 77.24641° W; map)
The Monument to the 22nd Massachusetts
The granite monument stands about nine and a half feet high. It is a short rectangular shaft with fluted corners set on a rough-hewn base, with a large cap topped with the Greek cross symbol of the Fifth Corps. The monument was dedicated on October 8, 1885 by the State of Massachusetts.
About the 22nd Massachusetts at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Sherwin. Its colonel, William S. Tilton, was temporarily in command of the brigade since just after the Battle of Chancellorsville in early May.
The regiment had 137 men engaged (one source mentions "67 guns") and lost 3 men killed, 27 wounded and 1 missing.
The 22nd's nickname came from the regiment's first colonel, abolitionist Senator Henry Wilson.
From around the top of the monument:
22nd Mass. Infty.
From the rear:
From the left side: