The monument to the 15th Massachusetts Volunteers is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue near the Copse of Trees. (39.810739° N, 77.2361° W; map) It was dedicated on June 2nd, 1886 by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel George H. Ward. He was mortally wounded on July 2 and Lieutenant Colonel George C. Joslin then took command. A monument to Colonel Ward about 250 yards to the west of the regimental monument in the field northeast of the Codori farmhouse marks where he fell on the afternoon of July 2nd.
The regiment brought 304 men to the field, losing 23 killed, 97 wounded and 28 missing.
An iron marker placed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts just south of the Copse of Trees shows the final position of the regiment after it moved north to counterattack Pickett's Charge on July 3rd.
From the front of the monument:
From the rear:
15th Regt. Mass. Vols.
From one of a series of iron signs south of the Copse of Trees (below right):
Fifteenth Massachusetts Volunteers.
It charged up to this point and attacked Pickett's