The monument to the Third Division of the Second Corps is on Hancock
Avenue just south of the Bryan farmhouse. (39.815133° N, 77.235192° W; map)
The division was commanded by Brigadier General Alexander Hays (USMA '44), a Mexican War veteran who had worked as an engineer on bridge and railroad projects in Pennsylvania. Hays had commanded the Third Brigade of the division until three days before the battle, when Major General Wiliam French was transferred. When Hays took over the division Colonel George Willard took over his brigade.
From the monument:
Army of the Potomac
Brig. General Alexander Hays
First Brigade Col. S. S. Carroll
Second Brigade Col. Thos. A Smyth
Lieut. Col. Francis E. Pierce
Third Brigade Col. Geo. L. Willard
Col. Eliakim Sherrill
Lieut. Col. Jas. M. Bull
July 2. About 8 A. M. took position on Cemetery Ridge relieving Second Division First Corps and at noon advanced to the stone wall in front. Late in the day the Third Brigade went to the support of the Third Corps on the left and became engaged with Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade capturing many prisoners. At dark Col. Carroll with the 4th Ohio 7th West Virginia and 14th Indiana of First Brigade went to support of Eleventh Corps on East Cemetery Hill and remained until the close of the battle.
July 3. The Bliss Barn in front occupied by sharpshooters was burned by order of Gen. A. Hays. At 1 P. M. a heavy artillery fire from the Confederate line was concentrated on the positions of Second and Third Divisions of the Corps for two hours followed by a charge of more than 15,000 infantry which was repulsed with loss the Division capturing about 1500 prisoners and 15 stand of colors. The muskets found on the field after the charge numbered about 3500.
July 4. Sharp skirmishing in front all day.
Casualties Killed 20 Officers 218 Men Wounded 75 Officers 912 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 65 Men Total 1291