The monument to the Second Connecticut Battery is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (39.80375° N, 77.2346° W; map)
About the monument
The granite monument to the 2nd Connecticut Battery stands 4' 9" tall. The front has a relief of the Coat of Arms of the State of Connecitcut, and the two sides a relief of crossed cannon barrels and crossed rammers over a pile of cannon balls. The monument was dedicated on July 3, 1889 by the State of Connecticut.
The 2nd Connecticut Battery at Gettysburg
The battery's commander at the Battle of Gettysburg was Captain John William Sterling, a Bridgeport merchant. It brought 106 men to the field, of whom three were wounded and two missing.
The Second Battery was armed with four 14-pounder James Rifles and two 12-pounder howitzers, the only Federal battery to be armed with either type of piece at Gettysburg. It was assigned to the 2nd Volunteer Brigade of the Army Artillery Reserve.
From the front of the monument:
Position July 3, 1863.
2d Conn. Light Battery
From the rear:
Tribute from the State of Conn.
Mustered in Sept. 10, 1862.
Mustered out Aug. 10, 1865.
Gettysburg, Fort Morgan,
Fort Gaines, Blakely