Volunteer Infantry Regiment
The monument to the Fourteenth Connecticut Volunteers is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue just north of The Angle. (39.81384° N, 77.23543° W; map) It was dedicated on July 3rd, 1884 by the Survivors of the 14th Connecticut.
Two markers at the site of the Bliss farm about 700 yards west of the monument on the west side of Emmitsburg Road show where the regiment fought with Confederate skirmishers on July 3rd.
About the monument to the 14th Connecticut
The granite monument is a square shaft with three tiers standing 7' 9" tall with inscribed bronze tablets on the front and rear. It is topped with the trefoil symbol of the Second Corps.
The 14th Connecticut at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major Theodore G. Ellis. It brought 200 men to to the field, of whom 10 were killed, 52 wounded, and 4 were missing.
Corporal Christopher Flynn and Private Elijah Bacon of Company K and Sergeant Major William B. Hincks were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions on July 3rd when they captured the flags of the 16th and 52nd North Carolina and the 14th Tennessee.
From the base of the monument:
Left Centre of Regt.
From the front tablet:
The 14th C.V. reached the
vicinity of Gettysburg at
evening July 1st, 1863, and held
this position July 2nd, 3rd and
4th. The regt. took part in the
repulse of Longstreet's grand
charge on the 3rd, capturing
in their immediate front more
than 200 prisoners and five
battle-flags. They also, on the
3rd, captured from the enemy's
sharp-shooters the Bliss build-
ings in their far front, and
held them until ordered to
burn them. Men in action 160,
killed and wounded 62."
From the back tablet:
The 14th Conn.Vol. Inf. left
Connecticut August 25, 1862;
was assigned to the
Army of the Potomac, Sept. 7, 1862
and mustered out May 31, 1865.
The Regiment was engaged in
34 great battles and severe skirmishes,
Cold Harbor, Petersburg
Lost in killed and died in the service, 366;
in wounded and disabled many hundreds.
Original muster 1015; recruits 697,
final muster of original members,
resent and absent, 234, pro patria.
erected by the survivors,
July 3, 1884.
site of the
burned by the
14 C.V. July 3
The 14. Regt. Connecticut Vols.
A.M. July 3, 1863
captured here from Confederate Sharp-
shooters the large barn of Wm. Bliss
and his dwelling house near and upon
retiring burned both buildings by order
of the Div. Commander.
Center of barn site.
The 14th Connecticut is also honored by a monument at Antietam National Battlefield Park.